The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Somehow it seemed as though the farm had grown richer without making the animals themselves any richer – except, of course, for the pigs and the dogs.
1. Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
2. Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
3. No animal shall wear clothes.
4. No animal shall sleep in a bed.
5. No animal shall drink alcohol.
6. No animal shall kill any other animal.
7. All animals are equal.
Work was strictly voluntary, but any animal who absented himself from it would have his rations reduced by half.
Man is the only real enemy we have. Remove Man from the scene, and the root cause of hunger and overwork is abolished for ever.