The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
1. Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
2. Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
3. No animal shall wear clothes.
4. No animal shall sleep in a bed.
5. No animal shall drink alcohol.
6. No animal shall kill any other animal.
7. All animals are equal.
Work was strictly voluntary, but any animal who absented himself from it would have his rations reduced by half.
To talk, simply to talk! It sounds so little, and how much it is! When you have existed to the brink of middle age in bitter loneliness, among people to whom your true opinion on every subject on earth is blasphemy, the need to talk is the greatest of all needs.
This is the inevitable fate of the sentimentalist. All his opinions change into their opposites at the first brush of reality.
If one gets on with the job that lies to hand, the ultimate purpose of the job fades into insignificance.